So it’s January. January can be a tough time for those suffering with depression and anxiety – personally this is the hardest time of year for me. For all those struggling, here are five reasons to smile today. I hope I can help you.
1. Somebody in this world loves you more than you can imagine. I know you don’t believe me, but it’s true.
2. It won’t be like this forever. Again, I know you don’t believe me, but it’s true. This will pass.
3. You are not alone. It feels like you are, I know, but actually 1 in 4 people in the UK experience a mental health problem each year (taken from www.mind.org.uk). It can be hard to speak to those around you because they don’t understand. That’s why I’m here. Feel free to speak to me at any time.
4. There really is some true beauty in the world. When we become possessed with mental illness it can be incredibly difficult, sometimes impossible to not lose all faith in humanity and believe that everyone and everything is utter shit. It’s not. Some people in this world are truly wonderful people. Kindness can go a very long way; embrace it. You were put on this planet for a reason, and even if you don’t know what that reason is yet, you will. And that’s beautiful in itself.
5. You are an incredibly strong human being and I have the utmost respect for you. I can easily say that my mental health problems terrify me and are the hardest thing I’ve ever had to deal with. I have so much respect for fellow suffers – we are fucking strong people.
Truth is, you’ve probably heard all this so many times before and are sick of it. But if I can help people, even just one person, by letting them know that I understand, I’m here, and you are not on your own, I will. I hope I helped somebody today.
I hope you all realise how great you are.