I don’t want to know what you think about my size

Photo taken by Kaye Ford

I don’t want to know. I don’t want to know how ridiculous you think it is that a ‘skinny’ person has a problem with their size. I don’t want to hear about how I should ‘just put on weight.’ ‘Just eat more!’ I don’t want to know how there’s ‘nothing of me’. I don’t want to know about how the media loves thin people. I can see it for myself. I don’t want to hear about how I should eat more, or ‘have a burger.’ I don’t want to hear about how I’m one of those people. One of the annoying ones.

I’ve spoken about this before but I guess I just felt that it wasn’t enough. I needed an updated version.

I’ve always been small, I guess it’s just the way that I am. It never bothered me at all until I got a bit older and people started to make horrid comments – usually completely unnecessarily. I seem to make people uncomfortable to the point where they just have to say something because it’s completely ridiculous that I eat so much but stay the same size. How stupid it is that I’m unhappy with my body – thin people can’t be unhappy with their bodies, surely? It’s clearly very sad and I’m obviously unhealthy.

Photo taken by Kaye Ford

It’s not nice to constantly have to justify yourself. For people to watch you eat. To make sure you’re eating at all. To express their ‘concern’ because they must make me aware that they’re worried about my weight. I have never, ever, made a deliberate effort to be slim. I have never wanted to lose weight. I’d love to gain weight – another concept that people usually find utterly ridiculous. Well then, why are you so quick to judge the fact that I’m small?

So then people are like well why don’t you just gain weight then? Surely if I could then there wouldn’t be a need for any of this? It’s not like I haven’t tried. I have a fast metabolism and that’s just the way it is. I managed to get to a point of not really caring what people say anymore – I’ve heard it all before – but I just think it’s completely unnecessary. Just don’t do it.

I have been greeted by people with ‘you’re so tiny’ before they’ve even said hello. People have asked me if I struggle to find clothes that fit. People have asked me if I eat – like, at all. Not only is this completely inappropriate, but why can’t somebody just look the way that they do, because they do!?

This girl is skinny, she must starve herself!

I don’t want to hear it. I’m skinny because I’m skinny. I don’t need to know how you feel about it.

1. July 18, 2017 / 10:03 pm

This is an amazingly brave and honest piece.

I hope this isn’t inappropriate but, the day we met for the first time in Southampton shared that delicious platter will always be one of my fondest memories.

You do you.

Please keep it up; you’re an inspiration xx

2. July 19, 2017 / 7:29 am

I bloody love this post. I’m one of those lucky girls with a nicer problem that will one day catch up on me. Body shaming in general is just something that should shut the hell up! I can sit in work on lunch and people will comment on how much food I am eating and they think that is okay???

My worst experience yet was on a work Christmas dinner in a hotel. I went to the toilets and a group of 2 or 3 grown women were stood discussing how lucky I was, and how they wished they were as skinny as I am and how this was never going to happen and blah blah. When I turned around one of the women actually asked me how I was so thin, did I eat my dinner tonight or hide it under the table? God forbid I would have had an issue with eating that could have really done damage!

3. Lauren
    July 19, 2017 / 8:54 am

This post sums up exactly how I’ve been feeling! I absolutely hate it when people constantly talk about how tiny I am. I don’t understand why people think it’s appropriate to bring up. Next time someone says something to me, I’m just going to pull this up and make them read it haha

Lauren // http://laurensjourney.com

4. July 20, 2017 / 2:00 am

A have a friend who gets these exact comments. You would never tell someone to loose weight so why tell them to put it on? A fabulously well written post!

Amy x

5. July 20, 2017 / 7:25 am

You’re so brave for sharing these raw and honest thoughts. No matter what shape or size, everyone has the right to be unhappy with their body. It each individual’s personal choice as to what lifestyle they want to lead and there shouldn’t be anyone criticizing them on it.xx Nikita

PS. I love your skirt! The embroidery is beautiful

BLOG//Jasmine Loves

6. August 7, 2017 / 1:27 am

Body shaming totally goes both ways– yet some people seem to think that bashing on us skinny girls is completely fine. I’m so sick of being called a “popsicle stick”. After posting a picture of me in a new dress, someone even commented that they wish the dresses would fit on a “normal” body type– does my being skinny make me any less of a person??? thank you for this post. it was SO refreshing to read xX