An Open Letter To The Person Who Got Me Through Depression

Depression is a dark, dark hole.

So what happens when you can’t get out? What happens when you’ve spent so long in the hole, that you don’t know how to get out? What happens when you get to the point of not wanting to come out?

Because of one person’s patience, courage, and kindness, I got out of the hole.

‘When you think you’re on your own, I’m still coming home’ – James Bay | Running

To the one who never gave up

You saw me for who I was, not who depression made me. At that time, I wasn’t me. Or anything close to me. I was a very different person, but you remembered me for who I really was and brought that person back.

You laid with me in medication-induced sleep, you witnessed panic attacks when my brain would tell me it’d had enough and it wasn’t worth it anymore, you wiped tear after tear. You didn’t push me, you didn’t question me. You cradled me when I couldn’t sleep, when I couldn’t stop tears from falling from my swollen eyes onto your mascara covered t-shirt.

You gave me faith, and hope, and believed in me when I didn’t. You knew I could make it. You made me smile through such negativity, and spoke for me when I couldn’t. You held my head up when I wasn’t strong enough to win the battle going on in my brain. You held my hand when I couldn’t see the way, and loved me when I didn’t even like myself.

You faced my demons as much as I did.
You put all my pieces back together and pulled me out of that hole.

You gave me life. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

1. April 2, 2016 / 11:48 am

This is such an amazing post, and so inspiring! As someone who is also suffering with depression I found this post very relateable to someone who has never given up on my either. Keep writing about mental health it’s super inspiring and helpful to those who are suffering <3

2. April 18, 2016 / 3:11 pm

What a lovely post, showing the strength and positivity in a difficult situation. It’s great to hear your thoughts and experience of the situation but also expressing how much you have helped yourself and how others have also helped you get through it. Posts like this really help to give people hope and strength so thank you! x

3. May 15, 2016 / 2:29 pm

This is such a beautiful and inspiring post!! You have shown your incredible strength and and positivity throughout the darker times!! You are truly amazing and very strong!! Thank you so much for sharing, as it will help others as well! I can say, it has truly inspired myself!! Lovely post gorgeous .. you have a great boyfriend who seems very caring and inspiring as well!!

• Hannah
      May 15, 2016 / 2:30 pm

Thank you, that really means a lot! I’m glad you feel inspired! 🙂 xx

• May 15, 2016 / 2:31 pm

Aww no worries lovely!! Absolutely loved it!! Have a wonderful day gorgeous!! <3 xx

4. November 11, 2016 / 4:57 pm

This is beautiful, Hannah. It’s made me cry x

5. Abba Grace
    March 14, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Thank you for sharing. I know it’s difficult to speak(write) about a time when you were emotionally vulnerable. Your courage to share may inspire others to share as well and it will help people to know that they aren’t alone even in depression. ❤

6. March 26, 2017 / 1:24 pm

I’m moved from your story, and your beautifully written open letter : thank you for sharing, and thank your boyfriend who helped ripples upon ripples of inspiration and further helping other people as a result of his kindness and patient healing gestures for you. What a beautiful love story!